Friday, July 8, 2011

My take on Steak au Poivre???!!!

I still cannot get myself to think about having the holy cow served up on a plate... But when my vegetarian husband came home with lamb tenderloin instead of chops for my mom's wonderful curry, I was inspired by Alton Brown's recipe for Steak au Poivre. Like I weren't already a big fan of AB and Good Eats, this one seals the deal, though the only thing I stuck to was the technique and put my own Indian and non-beef spin on it. And I cant believe I could whip up something this mind-blowing in 15 minutes or less.


Take the 1.5" medallions out of the fridge 30 minutes ahead of time.

Sprinkle with salt. Make a mixture of red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Dredge the medallions in the mixture and set aside.

Melt 1 tbsp of butter with 1 tsp of olive oil in a skillet. As soon as the oil starts smoking, put the medallions in. Cook for no more than 4 minutes per side. Remove and tent with foil.


For the pan sauce, take the pan off the flame, remove the remaining fat and add 1/3 cup cognac. Ignite it and shake the pan till all the flames die off. Add 1 cup of heavy cream and return to heat to thicken so it coats the back of the spoon.


Ohhh yummmmmm.....

No comments: